Monday 24 October 2016

A little bit of success

I am a retired 65 year old and one of the benefits is having much more time to sew, knit and do all those other things I did not have time as a teacher. I have been sewing and knitting since I was very small. However I never learnt to crochet, initially this was probably because my mum didn't and my crocheting nana died when I was seven. In my 20s a neighbour tried but I could not come to grips with it and as I could do other things it was no great loss. Over the last few years crochet has become more fashionable and a main part of Yarndale. A couple of years ago I bought a book that was easy to follow but the fear of failure was too great so I could always find an excuse. This knitting needs finishing, these bits need sewing etc.

So I set myself a challenge I would learn one crochet stitch before Yarndale  out came my book Rowan Crochet workshop  and I gave it a go. The photographs were a great help and by the time Yarndale Saturday arrived I could just about manage a couple of rows of double crochet. My breakthrough came at Yarndale where I came across the Beautiful Things stall. After a good chat to Claire I treated myself to a semi virtual course. This was the best thing I have done for a long time.
At first I was all fingers and thumbs and I could not hold the hook or yarn quite how Claire suggests in the video but practise as they say makes perfect or in my case helps a great deal.

So here we are this is how far I have got


My long practice chain which helped me get used to holding the yarn and hook.
 My first attempt at dc. The first few rows had been done as part of the course kit
 My first attempts at chaining 10 and doing the foundation row
 Three samples of dc
 and now I have a sample of half treble which did cause me some hassle to start with. This was because I was not starting in the correct place. I think I am almost ready to learn the treble stitch.
Claire's video is really clear and easy to understand. I have already ordered the next course.

Now I just have to stop myself from stressing about not learning years ago

3 comments:

Julie said...

Well done.... they look fantastic. Onwards and upwards... as they say.

Sally said...

Good for you Wendy! Keep it up. It's something I've never been able to master.

Claire Mackaness said...

Well done Wendy I'm so glad you are enjoying the course. Feel free to pass on our discount code of beginners20 to get our beginners course at half price. It only runs till the 31st Oct though.

Thank you for blogging about your progress I am looking forward to seeing how you get on.